Sign up to receive our newsletter and additional e-mail updates.
ObamaCare: One of the Most Insidious Laws Ever Devised
ObamaCare: One of the Most Insidious Laws Ever Devised
- Intended to entrap or beguile: an insidious plan
- Stealthily treacherous or deceitful; an insidious enemy
- Operating or proceeding in an inconspicuous or seemingly harmless way but actually with grave effect: an insidious disease
ObamaCare is one of the most insidious laws ever devised. This is because it is built around a series of lies, which are now being exposed. Here are the top four lies contained in the President Obama’s health care law:
LIE #1 – CONSUMERS WILL BE EMPOWERED
The President claimed his health care law would empower patients by increasing access. What he failed to disclose was the paradigm shift in the doctor-patient relationship. ObamaCare will create a three-pronged approach to health care: doctor + federal government+patient = your health care.
• ObamaCare is forcing millions of Americans onto government-approved health plans, where the government decides what services you need.
• When the government controls your healthcare, it controls a signficant portion of your life.
• Federal limits have been imposed on consumer-driven health products like Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs) and Health Savings Accounts (HSAs).
• As Harry Reid and other Democrats have said, the real goal of ObamaCare is to get to a “single payer” system where only the government pays for health care.
o When only the federal government pays for health insurance, only the federal government will get to decide what care you receive.
LIE #2 – AMERICANS CAN KEEP THEIR HEALTH CARE
One of the most egregious aspects of ObamaCare is that Americans will be able to keep their health care if they like it. What the President failed to mention in his promise was that thousands of Americans would be lucky to keep their jobs – let alone their health care – thanks to his law:
• Hospital systems like Indiana University Health have cut employees and hours due to changes forced upon the system by ObamaCare. 900 Employees impacted by Dec 1.
• Hoosier medical device companies like Zimmer and Boston Scientific have reduced staff levels due to the 2.3 percent medical device excise tax contained in ObamaCare. Over 2,000 jobs.
While ObamaCare was supposed to maintain health care coverage for those currently receiving it, we are actually seeing companies CUT health care benefits:
• UPS, one of Indiana’s largest employers, announced they would no longer be providing health coverage for 15,000 spouses due to ObamaCare.
• Due to increased burdens under ObamaCare, Walgreens restructured their health insurance options, transitioning 160,000 employees to subsidy-based plans.
In an effort to control costs associated with ObamaCare, employers are slashing hours, resulting in less take-home pay for thousands of Hoosiers:
• Lafayette School Corporation, Hancock, and Benton County Schools have cut their part-time employees to a maximum of 29 hours per week.
• Morgan, Clay, DeKalb, Floyd, and Marshall County schools cut their part-time employees to a maximum of 28 hours per week.
• Indiana University and Ivy Tech Community College – Indiana’s statewide community college system – capped part-time employees at 29 hours per week. At Ivy Tech, this includes classroom hours for part-time instructors, limiting student access.
LIE #3 – HEALTH CARE WILL BE MORE AFFORDABLE
Though ObamaCare, also known as the Affordable Care Act, was touted to save Americans money on their health care costs, as 2014 insurance premiums have been announced, Hoosiers are telling a different story:
• Angie May, owner of a small family farm in Carroll County, Indiana has seen her health care premiums jump 280% from 2012 to 2014 for her healthy family of four.
• Scale Computing, a small business in Indianapolis employing about 70 people, expects their health care premiums to increase 99% because of ObamaCare. In real dollar terms, this translates into more than $500,000 in added costs. Scale’s CEO said, “in short, by next year we’ll be paying four to five times as much for health coverage as we were three years ago and employees will be paying more out-of-pocket for plan premiums.”
President Obama claimed the typical family would see premiums decrease $2,500 under his law, but as 2014 nears, evidence suggests quite the opposite:
• According to data released by Medicare’s actuary, Obamacare will actually increase health care costs on the average American family by nearly $7,500.
• After analyzing 2014 premium rates in the President’s health care exchanges, the basic plan offered for a healthy, 27-year old male in Indiana will increase 21 percent.
LIE #4 – THE LAW WILL REDUCE THE NATIONAL DEBT
By using legislative tricks and gimmicks, the President passed his health care law by telling the American people that it would reduce our national debt. According to more recent analyses, the long-term impact of ObamaCare is fiscally devastating:
• According to the Government Accountability Office, ObamaCare could increase the long-term federal deficit by $6.2 trillion over the next 75 years.
• Over the next 10 years, ObamaCare will spend $1.9 trillion that we do not have. By the end of the decade, ObamaCare spending will exceed $200 billion annually.
• Already every child born today inherits over $55,000 in debt, and according to the Congressional Budget Office, federal spending on major health care programs is projected to increase significantly as a share of the economy in coming decades.
• In 2013, federal spending on health programs will amount to 4.6 percent of gross domestic product (GDP) – by 2038, thanks to ObamaCare, federal spending is projected to rise to 8 percent of GDP.